Volume 23 Num. 1 - March 2023
Factor structure invariance of the Defense Style Questionnaire-60 in outpatients
Volume 23 Num. 1 - March 2023 - Pages 57-66
De Page, Louis , Rossi, Gina
Volume 23, 1, 2023. To be published March 1st, 2023
THIS PAPER WILL BE AVAILABLE IN OPEN ACCESS on March 1st,
This study examined the content validity and consumer satisfaction of a newly developed forensic Measurement invariance across important subgroups such as gender and language has not yet been corroborated for Defense Style Questionnaire (DSQ). We examined the structure of the DSQ-60 (N= 509) using Exploratory Structural Equation Modelling with target rotation to the three factor-structure (Image distorting, Affect regulating and Adaptive style). We did find good fit to this 3-factor model for the data of the total group of outpatients. Next, we explored measurement invariance for both gender and language (French and Dutch). We did find configural invariance (i.e. pattern invariance) across gender and language. However, metric invariance (i.e. equal factor loadings) was not supported for gender and language. Moreover, the highest scale loadings were not always on the factor that would be expected based on three-factor solutions found earlier with different DSQ versions (i.e. an adaptive, image distorting style, and affect regulating style). We did find an adaptive and an image distorting factor. The third factor did not clearly represent the affect regulating style. We conclude that, although the widespread use of the DSQ, researchers must be careful in their use and interpretation of the DSQ-scales across important subgroups such as gender and language. Yet the DSQ is still a good screening measure for immature defenses and can give an indication of the presence of relatively more mature versus more immature defenses in an individual.
How to cite this paper:
De Page L & Rossi G (2023). Factor structure invariance of the Defense Style Questionnaire-60 in outpatients. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy, 23, 1, 57-66.
DSQ-60, Defenses, Exploratory Structural Equation Modelling with target rotation, Measurement Invariance, gender, language
More articles in this volume
- [3-15] Use of Conditional-Discrimination Training in Remembering Relatives in a Man with Alzheimers Disease
- [17-29] Understanding and Explaining Psychological Distress in International Students
- [31-41] What if you could see yourself with my eyes? A Pilot Study of the Impact of a Virtual Reality-environment on Relational Responding to Sel
- [43-55] Mental Health and Religiosity: The Role of Experiential Avoidance in the Symptoms of Depression, Anxiety, and Stress
- [93-105] Meta-Analysis of Web-based Treatments for PTSD in Women Exposed to Intimate Partner Violence and Sexual Abuse