Volume 13 Num. 3 - October 2013
Implementation of a cognitive-behavioral program for patients with migraine.
Volume 13 Num. 3 - October 2013 - Pages 373-385
Pamela Parada Fern?ndez
Two single case studies were carried out. A cognitive-behavioral intervention to control migraine headaches was performed using the techniques of problem solving, training and autogenic training. Migraine is a complex phenomenon caused by multiple factors such as biological, psychological and social. People with migraine often have difficulties to carry out their work and daily activities. This allows their suffering condition to show and as a result there is a high cost level to the patients family, social and employment environment. The aim of this study is to decrease the frequency and intensity of headache caused by migraine. Two university students of middle class were included. The cognitive-behavioral program was conducted for seven weeks with duration of one hour per session and completes with daily practices. A decline was observed in the anxiety level variables, effects of headache and pain coping, after the program was applied and the level of disability was the only variable that did not have changes noted. Changes were observed after the development of the intervention, specifically at the level of the experienced anxiety. The perception of headache effects and coping improved after the application of the cognitive-behavioral program.
migraine, pain, cognitive-behavioral therapy
More articles in this volume
- [277-287] Value Change and Post-modernism: A Preliminary Study of a German Sample
- [289-305] Application of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) with men serving sentences for abuse. A pilot study
- [307-315] Psychometric properties of My-School4web: 3D simulation program aimed to the detection of substance use, bullying and alterations in body image.
- [317-328] Life review in patients with schizophrenia: Effects on mood state and autobiographical memory.
- [329-337] Choice in humans as a function of subjective value and temporal distance of previous experiences
- [339-355] Developmental assets, school adjustment, and adolescents? subjective well-being.
- [357-371] The Effectiveness of Logotherapy Program in Alleviating the Sense of Meaninglessness of Paralyzed In-patients
- [373-385] An Empirical Investigation of Hierarchical versus Distinction Relations in a Self-based ACT Exercise