Volume 13 Num. 3 - October 2013
The Effectiveness of Logotherapy Program in Alleviating the Sense of Meaninglessness of Paralyzed In-patients
Volume 13 Num. 3 - October 2013 - Pages 357-371
Angelina M. Julom , Rosalito de Guzm
Several studies have documented elevated levels of the general sense of meaninglessness. This sense of meaninglessness, which Victor Frankl termed as existential vacuum, has been interfering with rehabilitation process. Realizing the devastating effect of the meaninglessness on the physical, psychological and spiritual dimensions of the person, the Researcher of this study developed a Logotherapy program for the 16 randomly selected, paralyzed in-patients of the Philippine Orthopedic Center, Quezon City, Philippines. The Purpose in Life (PIL) and the Life Regard Index (LRI) tests are the two instruments utilized to determine the level of existential vacuum or meaning in life of the 32 randomly selected participants before and after the intervention. The t-Tests for dependent and independent sample means revealed significant differences between the pre- and post-treatment mean scores of the experimental group?s participants. All of the experimental group were able to move out of the meaninglessness level after the completion of the Logotherapy program, while the members of the control group remained in the same meaninglessness level. This result demonstrates that with the help of Logotherapy, program it is possible to find meaning, even when confronted with a fate that cannot be changed.
meaninglessness, logotherapy, paralysis, purpose and meaning in life
More articles in this volume
- [277-287] Value Change and Post-modernism: A Preliminary Study of a German Sample
- [289-305] Application of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) with men serving sentences for abuse. A pilot study
- [307-315] Psychometric properties of My-School4web: 3D simulation program aimed to the detection of substance use, bullying and alterations in body image.
- [317-328] Life review in patients with schizophrenia: Effects on mood state and autobiographical memory.
- [329-337] Choice in humans as a function of subjective value and temporal distance of previous experiences
- [339-355] Developmental assets, school adjustment, and adolescents? subjective well-being.
- [373-385] An Empirical Investigation of Hierarchical versus Distinction Relations in a Self-based ACT Exercise
- [373-385] Implementation of a cognitive-behavioral program for patients with migraine.