Volume 12 Num. 1 - March 2012
An Instrument for the Evaluation of Forgiveness in Divorce and Separation
Volume 12 Num. 1 - March 2012 - Pages 49-58
Sagrario Y?rnoz-Yaben , Priscila Comino Gonz?lez
Current contributions of research on adaptation to divorce and separation show that forgiveness towards the former couple has an important place in this process. Therefore, instruments to evaluate this construct in the specific field of divorce are needed. In this study we present an instrument for the assessment of forgiveness in divorce-separation. The Cuestionario de Perd?n en Divorcio-Separaci?n (CPD-S) is a questionnaire created in Spanish, composed of 5 items, whose aim is the evaluation of forgiveness towards the former partner. Data were collected in a sample of 223 divorced parents from different autonomous comunities of the Spanish state, and 160 of their children aged between 4 and 18 years. Factor analysis extracted a single factor explaining 48 percent of the total variance. Our results suggest that CPD-S appears to be a reliable and valid instrument, with good internal consistency (Cronbach?s alpha= 0.77) and adequate construct validity (convergent, discriminant and predictive) supported by its relations with measures of adaptation to divorce, satisfaction with life and disposition to coparent, in the case of parents, and conduct problems in children. Forgiveness of the former spouse is the only predictor of divorce adjustment in the parents that compose our sample.
assessment of forgiveness; adaptation to divorce; satisfaction with life; children behavior problems
More articles in this volume
- [0-00] Letter from the New Editor
- [1-19] A Preliminary Demonstration of Transformation of Functions through Hierarchical Relations
- [21-34] Reduction of Self-injury and Improvement of Coping Behavior during Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) of Patients with Borderline Personality Disorder
- [35-48] Transcultural adaptation of a treatment for social phobia: A pilot study
- [59-68] Gender Differences in Adolescence in Emotional Variables Relevant to Eating Disorders
- [69-83] Assessing affective component of ageist attitudes in the elder people: Scale on the Prejudice towards the Oldness and the Aging (PREJ-ENV)
- [85-96] Relational Responding as a Psychological Event
- [97-114] Effective Psychological Therapies for the Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.