Volume 11 Num. 3 - October 2011
Differential Analysis of Psychotherapy Outcome and Process: Correlates of Initial Disturbance (Anxiety vs. Depression)
Volume 11 Num. 3 - October 2011 - Pages 347-358
Yolanda Garc?a , Luis Botella
This study focused on the differential aspects of the psychotherapeutic process and outcome in two groups of patients who requested therapy for anxiety problems or depression. Participants were 103 people, 41 in the depression group and 62 in the anxiety one. The instruments used were the CORE Outcome Measure and the short version of the WAI (Working Alliance Inventory) to assess the therapeutic alliance. The goal of the study was to analyse the differences between the groups with respect to the therapeutic alliance, ruptures of the therapeutic relationship, the abandonment of treatment and characteristics of the therapist-client bond. Results indicated that there were no significant differences between both groups in severity of the problem, differential symptomatic improvement for any of the factors, correlation between therapeutic alliance and symptoms in the case of the depression group, therapeutic alliance in the first 12 sessions either in general or in any of its three factors, and temporary weakening of the therapeutic alliance nor temporary symptomatic relapse. However, in the case of the anxiety group the correlation between therapeutic alliance and symptoms was highly significant in all sessions from the 3rd to the 12th. Results are interpreted under the light of the sensitivity of the relation between symptomatic improvement and therapeutic relationship to the client?s collaborative attitude. With depressive patients, particularly difficult regarding the establishment of a collaborative relationship, the quality of the therapeutic bond is less predictive of improvement than with anxious patients.
therapeutic alliance, psychotherapeutic outcome and process, anxiety and depression.
More articles in this volume
- [327-345] The validation of the Body Image Acceptance and Action Questionnaire: Exploring the moderator effect of acceptance on disordered eating
- [359-375] Psychometric properties of the questionnaire Discriminatory Behavior towards Old Age and Aging (CONDUC-ENV): Analysis of the ageist attitudes behavioral component in elderly population.
- [377-388] Exploring Screen Presentations in the Implicit Relational Assessment Procedure (IRAP)
- [389-400] Is temperament activity-specific? Validation of the Structure of Temperament Questionnaire-Compact (STQ-77)
- [401-412] Academic Achievement and Antisocial Behavior in Public Secondary Education Students.
- [413-423] Overgeneral Memory Retrieval and Ineffective Problem-Solving in Depressed Patients with Suicidal Ideation: Implications for Therapy
- [425-440] Effect of type of instruction on verbal report and performance in children and adults.
-  Social interaction and conditional self-discrimination under effects of methylphenidate in norvegicus rats.