Volume 10 Num. 3 - October 2010
Two Temperamental Characteristics, Approach and Inhibition/Fear, and Saccadic Responses in Infancy
Volume 10 Num. 3 - October 2010 - Pages 349-362
Atsuko Nakagawa , Masune Sukigara
To examine early development of two aspects of individual differences in temperament, we assessed the saccadic eye movements of infants. As for the approach tendency (surgency), we examined the general speed of saccades. To study behavioral inhibition or fear, we examined the speed at which infants reorient their attention to a previously attended location (inhibition of return: IOR). Temperament was assessed by the Infant Behavior Questionnaire Revised (IBQ-R). Innate and learned fear scores were developed from IBQ-R fear scores. While a quick approach tendency was positively related to the extent of surgency across ages, no relationship was observed between fear or behavioral inhibition and IOR. However, the response numbers indicated some different effect of fearfulness in younger and older infants.
Temperament, saccade, surgency, fear, inhibition of return.
More articles in this volume
- [363-385] Theory of Mind in Young People with Down?s Syndrome
- [387-402] Implementation of the Personal and Social Responsibility Model to Improve Self-Efficacy during Physical Education Classes for Primary School Children
- [403-413] Spontaneous Recovery as a Dynamic Average of Previous Experiences in Human Instrumental Conditioning
- [415-426] The Impact of Perceived Therapist Characteristics on Patients Decision to Return or Not Return for More Sessions
- [427-437] Variables related to violent behavior in the school according to the students
- [439-451] Psychology of Meditation and Health: Present Status and Future Directions
- [453-474] Measuring Adolescents? Smoking-related Social Identity Preferences with the Implicit Relational Assessment Procedure (IRAP) for the First Time: A Starting Point that Explains Later IRAP Evolutions
- [475-488] The Role of Experiential Avoidance in the Performance on a High Cognitive Demand Task
- [489-498] Memory Alterations in the Euthymic Phase of Adolescent Onset Bipolar Disorder: A Two-case Report.
- [499-512] Intergenerational Differences in Materialism and Postmaterialism Values in a Spanish Sample