Volume 4 Num. 1 - April 2004
Subjective Body Image Dimensions in Normal Female Population: Evolution Through Adolescence and Early Adulthood [Dimensiones Subjetivas de la Imagen Corporal en Poblaci?n Femenina Normal: Evoluci?n a lo Largo de la Adolescencia y la Adultez Temprana]
Volume 4 Num. 1 - April 2004 - Pages 1-10
Araceli Gila, Josefina Castro, Josep Toro and Manel Salamero
To study subjective body dimensions in a sample of the adolescent and young female general population using a body site perception apparatus, and to obtain profile charts for different age groups. The subjects were 802 female adolescents and young girls ranging in age from 11 to 24, students at different schools and at University. The evaluation technique used was a new method for assessing body distortion which indicates the subject?s idea of the size of the different parts of his/her body, and produces a life size global silhouette. Taken the sample as a whole, subjects significantly overestimated certain parts of their body: thorax, waist and hips (p<.001). Profile charts of differences between subjective and actual dimensions for the total group were calculated. At centile 50 thorax, waist and hips were overestimated by some 5 to 6 cm by all subjects and age groups. The overestimations of girls between 11 and 13 years were significantly higher than those of girls at other ages (p<.001). Girls who gave overestimations of the thorax one standard deviation above the mean in thorax were significantly heavier, taller and had higher body mass index than girls who gave overestimations of one standard deviation below (p<.001). Girls from the general population overestimated certain parts of their bodies, especially girls between 11 and 13 years of age. The largest overestimations were recorded in the subjects with greater height, weight and body mass index.
body image, normal population, overestimation.
More articles in this volume
- [11-36] Tratamientos Psicol?gicos de las Pesadillas: Una Revisi?n [Psychological Treatments of Nightmares: a Review]
- [37-66] Aportaciones del An?lisis Conductual al Estudio de la Conducta Emergente: Algunos Fen?menos Experimentales [Contributions of Behavior Analysis for the Study of Emergent Behavior: Some Experimental Phenomena]
- [67-91] ?Primac?a Visual? Estudio Sobre la Transferencia Basada en la Modalidad de Est?mulo y en el Modo Ling??stico [Visual Primacy? A Study About Transfer Based on Stimulus Modality and Linguistic Mode]
- [93-104] Cambios del Patr?n Alimentario Como fecto de la Privaci?n de Agua o Alimento en Ratas en Crecimiento [Changes on Feeding Patterns as an Effect of Water and Food Privation in Growing Rats]
- [105-128] An Analysis of the Anomalies in Traditional Discounting Models [Un An?lisis de las Anomal?as de los Modelos Tradicionales de Descuento]
- [129-153] A Psychological Model for Verbal Hallucinations [Un Modelo Psicol?gico de Alucinaciones Verbales]
- [155-163] Human Observing Behavior Maintained by S+ and S-: Preliminary Data [Comportamiento de Observaci?n en Humanos Mantenido por S+ y S-: Datos Preliminares]
- [165-175] Descripci?n de un Prototipo Inform?tico Para la Evaluaci?n de Conceptos B ?sicos en Educaci?n Infantil: Estudio Preliminar [Description of a Computerized Prototype for the Evaluation of Basic Concepts in Child Education: A Preliminary Study]